Public speaking has been ranked the number one fear, ahead of death. And since death is the inevitable, it makes sense to conquer your fear of public speaking and even become a successful public speaker! This public speaking blog aims to give you insightful and easy-to-apply tips on various aspects of public speaking that includes overcoming your fear of public speaking, writing speeches, delivering speeches, excelling in presentations, adding humor and much more!

Friday, May 19, 2006

Ten Definite Ways to Piss Your Audience Off

We are all experts at playing the role of the audience, thanks to the countless presentations that we have sit through. Quite frankly, we have seen it all! I thought it would be interesting to give you my list of ten things a presenter can do to piss me off. See if this tallies with yours!

Starting from the bottom...

10. Using clip art animation (at times, this makes me laugh... but not in the good way)
9. Starting weak: "I guess I should probably get started.... uh...ok here goes..."
8. Giving us zero eye contact
7. Reading off the slides
6. Having slides with heap full of words (and MORE words!)
5. Having NO message (Variation: Failing to make a point and leaving us confused)
4. Mumbling throughtout the entire speech
3. Apologizing to the audience right at the start:"I'm not exactly sure what I want to say but I will try..."
2. Ending late - it's obvious you don't respect our time!
.
.
.
And the number one thing you can do to piss me off the roof is this...

1. Be totally unprepared - it shows how much you value us!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when the presenter speaks too fast as well!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the list. fits mine. i will order it differently though. my number one would be to end late. that's a killer.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home